POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about $ for declare? : Re: How about $ for declare? Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about $ for declare?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Aug 2004 17:35:01
Message: <cfjc1l$vh2$1@chho.imagico.de>
Stefan Viljoen <rylan@ wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Megapov 0.7 (I heard) had $ instead of #declare...
>
> What is the reason why this wasn't implemented in official Pov 3.1 or 3.5?

It leads to awfully obfuscated code.  When designing a new language the
idea to leave away the #declare (or whatever else) completely is
reasonable.  But if it is required replacing it with a single character
is not a good idea.  With the same arguments you could replace every
other keyword with the shortest unique abbreviation - but no one could
read the code any more then.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______